Monday, August 16, 2010

A day in the world with Kathy Urschel


Where do I start. Well I'll start with the lesson of the day. Go with the flow. The flow of water that is. This has been a week of pools, hot tubs, and today a large lake.

I was up in Fair Haven,NY, home of the Renaissance Faire and beautiful Little Sodus Bay.

Kathy and I took a walk as usual, Kathy with her Guide Man my new title, and her guide dog Sandra. We got a cup of Joe and walked to the lake. I told Kathy I would take her dog in the lake and she said,"What about me?". She took of her shoes and socks, took off her electronic gear that allows her to hear and unfolded her cane. She walk, and then swam.

She swam away from the dog and I and kept going, and going. I followed her through backyards and past docks until she ran into a boat, thankfully parked at a dock. Then Kathy turned and swam away from shore.

I took a calming breath and found a group of people who owned a canoe. I tied up the dog, and paddled out to Kath. I looked at the people and told them Kathy could swim for hours and was blind and deaf. I told them I was a lifeguard and a canoe instructor for many summers at camp.

Next I thought, I wonder what these people thought of me, a life guard would let a deaf-blind person swim out to the middle of the bay.

Kathy is free in the water. Her stroke leg does not have to hold weight, her body can move through the water without struggle. Though she cannot see or hear, she did finally scream out to make sure I knew where she was.

I paddled out, threw her a rope, and pulled her in.

Another day in my world, amazed at Kathy's world.

Listen to a great radio program where Kathy tells her life story and what motivates her to keep going, and going, and going.


1 comment:

  1. Steve, I just wanted to send my condolences to you for the loss of your amazing friend. If only for a day I could experience her passion, confidence and determination. Her life story is an inspiration.
    Sumi Gross
    Swami's Cycling
    2006 RAAM 24 Hour Corp Challenge

    ReplyDelete