Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Story vs. experience, the cost of extra baggage.

Last night we had a great speaker here at the office, Wyming Sun. I love ancient knowledge, true source with little interpretation or commentary. Wyming is a scholar of Aramaic, the original language of Jesus and the New Testament.

Lord's Prayer in Aramaic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOACN-sOK3U

He did a talk about The Kingdom of Heaven. All he does is give the translation and the history of the times and define who people are and there position in life. You get to create meaning of the experience. Often we have the facts of an experience or happening in our lives or other lives and add the emotions.

Take the bible. When you go to church or as I go to Teen Challenge where I volunteer. We hear these bible stories from people interpretations. Powerful stories are sometimes used as metaphors or as motivation or as discipline to move us in a certain direction or thinking. This is not bad or good.

We also use experiences, situations in our lives for these reasons. When we attach emotion to these experiences they become our stories. We all have stories in our lives from our childhood, school, work, relationships, and so on. It is our stories with the most emotion in our lives that can block us from being truly free or move us in a direction that we do not desire.

I have stories about being free. That if I am too specific, time lined and measurable, I cannot be free. I have stories about my father and his behavior that have crept into my relationships. I have stories about my business competition or location that effects my business.

These stories are just experiences in my life that I have put emotion to that I use as excuses or guides consciously and unconsciously to create my destiny.

We need to look with a neutral eye and heart at these experiences in our lives and see them, just as they are, experiences. Facts that happened. We need to learn from them not be controlled by them.

We need to drop this baggage or just like the airline we need to pay the price for carrying on.

Check out this funny video that let's us laugh out loud about our life:


Who is the real puppet? What are some of your stories that have become the puppeteer.

Blessings,

Dr. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment